Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

National Limerick Day


There was an Old Man with a Beard

"There was an Old Man with a beard,
Who said, "It is just as I feared!
Two Owls and a hen,
Four Larks and a Wren,
Have all built their nests in my beard!"


Happy National Limerick Day!  That was a famous limerick written by Edward Lear, an English artist, illustrator, musician, author and poet who made limericks very popular.  To my delight, as I was looking up limericks today, I just discovered that a favorite book of my childhood was written by Edward Lear, An Alphabet.  I heard it read to me, but I was so little that I did not pay attention to the author's name.  Here are some lines from An Alphabet by Edward Lear:

"A was once an apple pie,
Pidy, Widy, Tidy, Pidy,
Nice insidy
Apple Pie!

B was once a little bear,
Beary! Wary! Hairy! Beary!
Taky cary!
Little Bear!

Some books just stay with you all of your life.  This was one of them :)


Today is B day
Here is a special "Hello" to students in these classes:

Ms Hager 3rd grade, Mr O'Connell 4th grade, Ms Roper 5th grade, 
Ms Johnson Kindergarten,  Ms Simon 1st grade, and Ms Krueger 2nd grade!


Cite Your Sources
You have your outline complete; now you need to record all the places where you found your information.  This is called citing your sources.  "To cite a source means to give credit for the original source of information ...."   
library.uaf.edu
"Citing/Documenting Resources/ Elmer E. Rasmuson Library"

For my research on the Chandra Space Observatory, I found information on the following websites:

Chandra X-Ray Observatory at  https://chandra.harvard.edu/

                    NASA Chandra X-Ray Observatory at  https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/main/index.html

I will include this information in my presentation.
You can go to BrainPop in your CPS portal and watch the video "Citing Sources".
You can also go to Student Resources and find Digital Passport.  The game 
"Mix N Mash"  is a wonderful chance to practice citing your sources while having fun!

Kindergarten and First Grade:  BrainPopJr's video "Writing a Paragraph" gave us some great tips on how to start writing.  Annie and Moby told us that a paragraph is a set of sentences about a topic.  The topic that I chose is the Kinkajou. They suggested writing a topic sentence first.  Here is my topic sentence:

What is a Kinkajou?
Next, they suggested that we give details to support the topic sentence.  Here are my details:

A Kinkajou is a mammal that weighs 3 to 7 pounds.
Kinkajous live in trees in the tropical forests of Central and South America.
Kinkajous have a strong gripping tail that lets them hang upside down.
Kinkajous eat fruit, small mammals and honey.

Finally, Annie and Moby suggested that we write a closing sentence.  Here is mine:

I hope to see a kinkajou one day.

 I used the following websites for information:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/k/kinkajou
https://wildlifelearningcenter.org/animals/central-south-america/kinkajou/

Tomorrow, we'll put the whole paragraph together and find an image of a kinkajou.


Did you notice?
When you went to your CPS portal to find BrainPop and BrainPopJr, did you see that the watering can on the bottom left of the page had changed to something else? So fun!


That is all for today.  See you tomorrow!
I miss you!