Pages

Friday, April 17, 2020

Fun Fact Friday

Happy Friday!

Today is "A" day, so a big HAPPY FRIDAY goes out especially to the students in these classes:

Ms. Wilcox 3rd grade,  Ms. Shaw's 5th grade, Ms.  Sicht's Kindergarten, Ms. Snyder's 1st grade, and Mr. Smith's 2nd grade!  

And now, its time for a  . . . .

FUN FACT!

Today is National Haiku Poetry Day
 "Haiku" is a traditional form of Japanese poetry, consisting of 3 lines.  The first and last line of a Haiku contain 5 syllables (a syllable is a part of a word pronounced as a unit.), and the middle line consists of 7 syllables.  Here is a Haiku to help you remember:

I am first with five
Then seven in the middle --
Five again to end.

Here is a "What Am I?" haiku:

Green and speckled legs,
Hop on logs and lily pads
Splash in cool water.

(Can you guess what it is?)
  
I found this information from the website KidZone:  https://www.kidzone.ws/poetry/haiku.htm
You can go to that website and have fun creating Haiku poems of your own.  It really is fun once you have gotten the hang of it!  Here is a Haiku that I created myself several  years ago after visiting friends in Arizona:

Beautiful cactus
Vivid green in the blue sky.
My, your needles hurt!

Photo by Meritt Thomas on Unsplash


Okay, Friends!  That is all for now . . . see you again on Monday!

I miss you!