Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Give Me the Details!

Blue Skies Smiling at Me!
Nothing but blue skies do I see.
Bluebirds singing a song.
Nothing but bluebirds all day long!

photo courtesy of Unsplash.

Those are lyrics to the song, "Blue Skies" that jumped into my head the minute I looked out my window this morning.  Such a beautiful day!!
The legendary Ella Fitzgerald recorded this song.  If you have the chance to look up the recording, by all means, do it.  It will leave you smiling all day :)

Today is "B" day, so a very special "Hello" goes out to the students in my B day classes:

Ms Hager 3rd grade, Mr O'Connell 4th grade, Ms Roper 5th grade, 
Ms Johnson Kindergarten,  Ms Simon 1st grade, and Ms Krueger 2nd grade!


Just for Fun:
Google's homepage features a new game today called Rockmore.  You can learn to play an instrument called the theremin.  Clara Rockmore was a gifted performer on the theremin, an electronic musical instrument.


RADCAB
RADCAB is an acronym created to help you remember what to look for when you are doing research.  Today we'll focus on D:  Detail.

Looking at details on a website will help determine if it will be a useful website for you or not.  Details such as:

Does the website have a site map?
Are the pages of the website organized with titles and headings?
Does the website give credit to information sources it uses?
Does the website give external links for additional information?
Are there interactive, graphic elements?
Is it an easy and pleasant website to navigate?

You can use these details to determine whether or not you want to continue to use the website for your research. My research into the Chandra space observatory led me to this website:   https://chandra.harvard.edu/ 
In looking at the details of this website, you can see that there is indeed a site map, and that the pages are organized into titles and headings.  There is a resources page for additional educational links, and plenty of images for appeal.  Overall, it looks like it could get more technical if needed, but the website seems easy to navigate and understand.  I'll use it.
Tomorrow, we'll talk about C:  Currency.

Kindergartners and First Grade: I am interested in learning about the kinkajou, and kinkajou information can be found at:   https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/k/kinkajou/

I decided that it was an appropriate website for me, but now I want to look at the Details.  Is the website easy to use?  Does it have interesting images and videos?  Does it tell me where to find more information?
This website does have a good image of a kinkajou, and it does have its information organized neatly so that it is easy to read.  I'll use it. 
We'll talk about Currency tomorrow!

Don't Forget!

The Stallion Story Time can be found on Flipgrid at:

https://flipgrid.com/edwards5739

The user ID is 2020.

Today I watched Principal Edwards read the book, Me I Am  by Jack Prelutsky. What a wonderful book!  Each one of you is a perfect Me I Am! and you are so special!  It will be so joyful when we are all back together again to share.

That is all for today.  See you tomorrow!
I miss you!